Friday, January 30, 2009

Ice Storms and Typing Lessons

We finally got in touch with family in Western Kentucky this morning. Brian talked to all of his parents and everyone is safe. We've heard estimates of up to a month for power to be restored in Mayfield. I really hope that's an exaggeration. We'd really prefer that everyone get out of there, but they seem determined to stick it out. Of particular concern is Brian's great aunt who is 87 and currently without power. She lives just a few feet away from his mother, but it's still really worrying. We're hoping they'll pack up and come up this way until power is back.

Our house is of concern, as well. Our sump pump won't work without power, so our basement is probably entirely flooded. We also heard tales of the demise of our fence. We were planning a trip down next month. If things don't improve, I'm not sure that'll happen.

As for what we've been up to, we've been hanging out indoors and keeping warm. There was no power at Brian's office for a couple of days, so he worked from home. We finally ventured out last night and the sites were unbelievable. Everyone else lived through the 2003 ice storm. I wasn't living here at the time, so I've never seen anything like this. We have more ice than Zales. Here's a view from our back door.





Eliza's been learning to type lately. If she's in someone's lap and they're near a keyboard, she'll go out of her way to reach for it and attempt to type.



She's also really loving her baths lately. She's learned how much fun splashing around in water can be. The other night, we dressed her up in this little ducky after bath outfit/towel thing. So very cute.

I wish these were in better focus.





Eliza's also loving Yo Gabba Gabba. I swear, that show will save my sanity. It's a show entertaining enough to keep her attention and make her coo and smile for 20 minutes without making me entirely insane. She's also been playing with her toy fish bowl a lot. We practice putting the fish in the bowl to trigger the music. Hopefully she'll be doing that on her own soon. I almost forgot, I think Eliza's going to have great eyes 'cause she seems to love carrots. I think we're going to start making baby food part of her regular feeding routine.

So that's the update. Hope everyone out there is safe and warm.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your family is ok... hopefully they will stay that way especially since another storm is on it's way! I'll keep them in my prayers. Cute Eliza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying aagain. I am glad you are all ok. It was good to see your backyard. I made some pictures but am not sure how to send them. Eliza is so cute at the keyboard and in her ducky towel. Emilee is helping me today.
    Love Grandmoma

    ReplyDelete