Sunday, November 9, 2008

Like a Surgeon

The pediatrician recommended that Eliza see a surgeon for her umbilical hernia. We'd had a couple of doctors tell us that we shouldn't worry and it would clear up by the time she's a year or two old. That's why we were surprised when a local general surgeon recommended surgery.

That didn't sound quite right to me, given the fact that EVERYTHING I'd read seemed to indicate otherwise. I decided we'd take Eliza to Kosair's in Louisville for a top notch second opinion, which we did this past week. Turns out, they seemed shocked that a surgeon would want to touch it. They said no surgery unless it doesn't correct itself by age 4. Otherwise, they'd only fix it if she needed to go under general anesthesia for something else.

We're completely relieved.

In other news, Eliza is babbling like she's going to skip small words and start speaking full sentences. I reportedly said my first word at three months, so maybe we have a little prodigy on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment